Friday, January 30, 2009

Research Methods

I find myself constantly browsing the internet for information to add believability to my writing. So far, Wikipedia has been my best friend. The only problem is that I tend to get distracted by my research. Four tangents later, I've gone from looking up different kinds of cancer to researching how I could get an adorable little Welsh Corgi puppy for myself.

For my current WIP, Untouched, I've spent almost as much time looking up information as I have spent writing. I've researched everything from leukemia, to the climate of Elba Island in Tuscany, to San Quentin and the process of execution by lethal injection. Next I'll be researching death during childbirth and funerals.

Morbid, right?

Would you believe me if I told you I was writing a romance? A dark, paranormal romance, but overall it is a love story. And I think I have a pretty good grasp on handling the darker aspects without letting the morbidity overpower the core of the story- the struggle between life and death, and the consequences that arise from choosing love over everything.

1 comment:

  1. My last comment disappeared... sorry if you received it already and it's incomplete.

    The gist of what I said was that I love research! It's my favorite part of writing, I think. I'm researching terrorists and butterflies. Great combo. :)

    Research is essential and important. If your facts are wrong, it's going to show. Your story sounds great, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete