Sunday, May 30, 2010

Voices

The voices are back. They kept me awake until five last night, tossing and turning in bed as I tried (and failed) to get them all to shut up. And yes, I did mean voices. Plural. All yelling and clamoring for attention at once. Was crazy-making.

There's Lucy. She sees dead people. She just doesn't know it yet.

And there's William. He's searching for a cure so he can finally be with the girl he loves.

Then there's Charlotte. She's clinging to a fantasy world because the real one is too harsh.

And unsuspecting Victoria is in for one hell of a night at work.

And those are just the new voices. Elle was there too, wondering why I've left her story unfinished for so long. And finally, perhaps most surprising of all, Connor was there, urging me get back into the superhero world. Promising me his story isn't as hopelessly horrible as I fear it is.

I'm still kind of scared to look.

But I'm going to.

Did I mention I have a deadline for Temper now? June 14th. My crit partner and I set it. We're going to swap manuscripts on that date.

So I should probably crack open the word doc, eh? I've been a very naughty writer lately, ignoring the voices so well I managed to block them out completely and convince myself they left me. Now I've got to fight my way back in.

But I will. Because I have to.

Because the voices are back, and I don't think I'll be able to shake them off this time. The only way to get them out of my head is to get them onto paper.

So that's what I'll be doing.

All. Night. Long.

11 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds like a lot of harassment going on there.

    Good luck with The Temper. It's good you've finally set a swapping manuscript date! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad to hear you're back at it. Good luck.

    You'll have to change your blog to Kat Hears Voices now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jade's suggestion about your blog title.

    Good luck meeting your deadline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love the voices. Good luck on your deadline!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those thoughts mulling around fighting to be heard. Good luck with the deadline and with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzer...that's a lot going on! I think I would go crazy if I had that many new characters trying to break out. I have enough trouble with the few I'm already working with. Good luck on meeting your deadline--sometimes a specific date/goal can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you start carrying on a conversation with those voices...give me a call. I'll bring over the funny white jacket whose arms tie in the back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, getting back into your project! And a self-imposed deadline is a great idea--good luck to you and your crit partner! :) BTW, your characters sound cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Kat, those voices sound awesome! I'm so glad they've forced their way back in. :) Good luck with your deadline, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand about the voices there Kat. I have plenty of them myself and they don't know when to shut up even in the shower. They are so demanding but they have the deepest stories. Never forget them.

    Still you are lucky, normally my voices wake me up and I have to write. If I don't, I never get to sleep.

    I don't know anything about Temper but the title has got me interested so you did a great job picking that title. I'll have to find out what it's about.

    Good luck on meeting your deadline and definitely enjoy those voices! Voices are the best thing to have for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I love it when that happens! I've got a deadline too, and it is flying my way in a hurry. It's a few weeks after yours, but I'm dreading the possibility of not making it!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete