Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Recap

So my goals for January were as follows:

1. Write 25K words on any project(s)
(This encourages the 1K/day ideal, but also allows some leeway in case I get busy)


What happened: Fail.
I ended up writing just over 10K.

Excuses: I didn't know I was moving when I set my goals. I found out on the sixth, then I had to pack, purge and move. Kinda cramped my writing style. Not to mention I've been working like crazy to fund said move. Then I got sick. Overall, not a fun start to the year. February will be better, I'm sure.

2. Of the 25K total, write at least 5K on Blood Ties
(Because I really need to finish it, despite all the shiny new ideas calling my name)


What happened: Fail.
I wrote nothing on Blood Ties. BUT-- I figured out why I dropped it. In my outline, and in the first draft I wrote in that the antagonist did something mean to my MC. But once it was all down on paper it just didn't feel right. Then I realized: it wasn't mean enough for my antagonist. He would do something far more wicked. So. I know how it needs to be fixed, I have to delete a couple thousand words, but at least I know how to mend the story.

3. Write 10 blog posts this month
(This totally counts as #1)


What happened: Win.
I blogged more than I wrote. No to keep up the pace for the rest of the year.

4. Read 8 books
(At least one off this list, and at least one off this list)


What happened: Win.
8 books down, 92 to go! Again, just gotta keep the pace for the rest of the year.

* * * * * * * * * *

Books I read in January:

1. Wings by Aprilynne Pike

I liked the faerie lore in this one, and I liked that the main character was *not* a normal teen girl. Sometimes it's nice to read about the flawed, everyday girl that could almost be you, but sometimes it's nice to escape into a completely different world, where the MC is nothing like you at all. This was a good book for that, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

2. Liar by Justine Larbalestier

What a trip! I went in saying I wouldn't believe any of Micha's lies-- and I didn't, at first. But by the middle of the book I couldn't tell what the lies were. I don't even think Micha knew by the end of it. I didn't believe Micha's "big" secret at first, but as it went along I almost wanted to believe it because it was just so interesting.

(Spoiler-- There's a scene near the end that takes place on the last night Micha was with Zach, and she's trying to muster up the courage to tell him something-- her "big" secret. I read that scene differently. I didn't think she was trying to tell him the "big" secret she told us. I felt like she was trying to tell him that she loved him, but she never got the chance because that's the night he died. In the very end she does reveal to us that she loved him, so maybe that was her big secret all along, and she finally told us the truth afterall.)

3. The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard

Not as amazing as I'd hoped. It was very well written, a nice story, and had realistic main characters, but it just didn't resonate with me. I did like the believability of it all-- the whole thing felt very real. My main problem was that some of the secondary characters and plots were only okay to me, and the whole mountain vs. flats rivalry was a tad over the top.

4. Powerless by Matthew Cody
I don't read too much MG, but this one I liked. The mystery was fun and the characters were great. I do still have some questions, so hopefully there will be a sequel I can pick up!

5. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

This book lived up to its title-- it was dark and divine. I did not see this one coming, and I loved the surprises. Nice balance of paranormal and religion, without being super preachy. The ending was almost too perfect, but overall I still loved it.

6. Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
Loved this one. Possibly my favorite so far this year, or at least it's up there with Dark Divine and Liar. This is my first book by MJ, though I follow her on twitter and think she's hilarious. Her voice and humor definitely come through, and even though the story isn't in first person, I looooved the voice of it. Just great. (Plus, it was a free e-book. Score! Now I can afford Scarlett Fever which is just coming out!)

7. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Kind of slow, but I prepared myself and settled in to read it so the pacing didn't bother me at all. Meyer is definitely a storyteller-- she has this way of compelling you to turn the page and you're constantly wondering what's going to happen to the characters. I enjoyed this book, but I don't think it has too much re-readability. I can read Twilight over and over again because it's all about the romance. But with The Host, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much or be willing to crawl through the slow parts now that I know how it all ends. I would pick up a sequel for sure, though.

8. Devilish by Maureen Johnson
I like the concept of this one more than I liked the concept of Suite Scarlett (which is why I bought this one months ago but waited till SS was free), but I think the voice of Suite Scarlett was stronger and funnier. Devilish is great, and has plenty of funny bits, but Suite Scarlett was a lot more fun, and I think that's what MJ is better at creating-- cute, fun, hilarious stories.

* * * * * * * * * *


Feburary goals coming tomorrow!


Did you meet your writing/reading goals for the month?

What was the best book you read in Jan?



<3 Kat

1 comment:

  1. I always write my goals in erasable marker so I can modify them when life gets in the way. Lol, is that cheating?! Probably, but it keeps me happy. Wow, so many books you read! The best book I read in January was Wake by Lisa McMann.

    ReplyDelete