Friday, October 9, 2009

Perfect First Draft

Okay, so I have a problem. I want my first draft to be perfect. I don't want to do revisions, I don't want to chop away my precious darling words, and I don't want to rewrite the opening chapter five hundred thousand billion times.

Is that too much to ask for?

Um, yes.

And because of my insane obsession with writing a perfect first draft, my writing has been non existent lately. You know, because if I don't write then it's not crap. Um. If I don't write then it's not NOTHING because it's NOTHING. Sigh.

I'm having mucho issues turning off my inner editor (sometimes outer editor when I yell/cry/sing to the computer screen.) This does not bode well for NaNoWriMo. (Which, side note: I totally got another wicked awesome idea for and now I'm debating between pirates, punk rock hitch hikers and a girl falling in love with one of the personalities of a boy with dissociative identity disorder.)

Anyways, I've had far too much caffeine today (or possibly not enough) and I'm not quite getting to my point. (And you guys are probably getting tired of all the parenthetical statements. I kinda like them. I don't use them in my writing too much though... perhaps I should...) I digress.

I'm going to start keeping track of my word count again! Jeez, it took the whole post for me to say that? Yes, yes, at the beginning of my posts I will now be adding word count and maybe some other tidbits. Maybe a line or two as an excerpt.

So. Conclusion.

I want a perfect first draft. (Yeah, right.)

I need to tell my brain to shut up when I'm writing. (Er, kinda.)

I'm going to start posting word count. Maybe I'll be more inspired to write because then I can show you guys how well I'm coming along! (Or maybe I will never blog again because my manuscript ate my soul.)

Word count currently at: 14,470.

Today's goal: 17K

Okay. Time to write.



Bye!


(Rawr)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah inner editors suck, massively, but sometimes a cup of green or chamomile tea will help, and if that fails try a bar of dark chocolate. Or be like me skip the tea and enjoy the chocolate :)It really does help, stimulating something in the brain that triggers creativity or something, and it’s an excuse to eat chocolate. That is unless you don't eat chocolate and then I'm sorry for being of no help at all.

    I like the idea about a girl falling in love with a guy who has DID, it sounds cool. Good luck with NaNo. And your block, I hope you get to 17k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so you have this problem too! I thought it was just me.

    For me, it's not fear of putting words down, it's fear of moving on until I get them perfect...which means I obsessively over edit everything. I've actually sworn off editing for this entire month to try to break this bad habit and it's KILLING me. But I am at least moving forward again...

    *Sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way. Oh, I want to just write it and be done. But then I read it later and just chuck it because it's horrible. No middle ground for me.

    ReplyDelete