Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Corn Dogs and Coffee and Writing Update

I had a corn dog and three cups of coffee for breakfast today. I am such a grownup.

Writing update!

I'm still querying Untouched. Right now I have 3 partials, 1 full, and about 10 queries awaiting responses. I don't think I'll send out anymore queries for a while. If the ones already sent out receive negative responses then I will probably just pull Untouched from submissions. I'll put it aside for a while and then tackle it later to see what sort of revisions/rewriting it needs to get picked up.

The Temper is completely outlined. I wrote a very detailed synopsis-esque draft of about 7K words, then I wrote the first 1K words. Then, honestly, I think I got a little bored of it. It's a really fun story, but alas-- there's a fatal flaw to my obsessive outlining. There are no surprises. Sigh. I will go back to Temper eventually, it's a solid story. But the detached 3rd person makes it harder for me to get into it. I never realized how much I like to write in 1st person until I tried to write in 3rd.

I am working on another project! If you follow me on Twitter you've seen that I've been tearing through this first draft. I started writing on the 24th and got in 1K. On the 26th I wrote about 3K. And yesterday I wrote another 3K. I'm putting myself through what I call NaNoWriMo boot camp. I'm trying to write at least 1K/day (back to my old goal) in preparation for the 1.7K/day NaNo goal.

Needless to say, it's going well! This is a story idea I had a while back about a magic dystopia. It's fun! It's also something new for me: I'm writing in present tense. I used to hate present tense. It just bugged me. And then I read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire and I started working on this project and now... well, I totally love first person present tense.

And I think I've narrowed down my choices for my NaNo WiP. See, Sarah and I are going to make the pirate-fantasy genre the next big thing. Forget vamps. Swashbuckling is way cooler than blood sucking.

I still need to do some serious outlining, but it's basically a pirate-y version of Bonnie and Clyde. Except Pirate-Clyde betrays Pirate-Bonnie and sets her up to take the fall for their crimes. Pirate-Bonnie escapes (barely) and disguises herself to join a rival pirate crew in her quest for vengeance. But it would be a whole lot easier if there wasn't a million dollar bounty on her head. And if the leader of the rival pirate crew wasn't so frustratingly attractive. Sigh. Swashbuckling romance on the high seas... does it get any better?

Anyhoo, that's what I've been working on lately.

What writing project are you currently working on or planning to work on soon?


Cheers,
Kat


...A scary idea just popped into my head: vampire pirates. I'm not even going to elaborate, I'll just let your imaginations go to work.

(No, I'm not going to write about vampire pirates.)

(UPDATE: Wow, Beth! I thought I was being ridiculous!)

6 comments:

  1. *dying laughing at your choice of lunch* I so do that all the time!

    I am working on...not sure right now. I have too vague ideas, and not sure which one I want to get clearer yet.

    I've started querying, too, and I'm like you--I've sent about 15 or so, and if they don't get good responses, I might pull to re-evaluate later.

    (PS: Have you heard of Vampirates? IT EXISTS. *shudder*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampirates? Seriously? I must google this.

    The world will never be the same, Kat! Pirates rule, vampires drool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's a corn dog?

    I've just started a new super-secret WIP that I'm really excited about, plus I'm editing two other ms.

    Sara and her pirates are going to take over the world. As long as they look like Captain Jack, there'll be no complaints from me!

    Good luck with your submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya!

    I randomly found you via some random pirate site as I was randomly looking for pictures of captain's quarters. You seem nifty enough so I'm stalking you now.

    Sounds like NaNo bootcamp is working out pretty well!

    My current project is actually a pirate-ish fantasy novel series.

    Good luck and see ya around :)

    -Angela
    funkycatstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in "NaNo" boot camp -- best thing I ever did, literarily-speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I just stumbled across your blog today and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it.

    And wow, how do you juggle so many projects at once? I can barely keep my one and only project straight in my head (it's a series...but still...) so I can't imagine being in your shoes.

    Course it probably doesn't help that I really don't outline. I hate outlines. I know they make writing more efficient, but they suck the life out of my story so I just can't do it. To each their own, I guess...

    ReplyDelete