Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Writing Process IV: Page Editing

After I finish my first draft, I do a round of edits I call 'page edits'. This is exactly what it sounds like. I go one page at a time, fixing sentence structure, paragraph structure, dialogue, typos and all that good stuff.

But most importantly, I try to take out as much as I can. I read each page as though it were an excerpt of my story that I was using to get your attention. Is every single page entertaining? Does every single page make me want to read more?

I cut anything unnecessary, trim and tighten what is left, and polish so that each and every page will give the reader a clear sense of motivation/drive, character development, action, plot-- something. Every page is critical.

Needless to say, this takes quite a while. Sometimes after I've been doing it for a couple hours I get lazy, and start skimming pages. This is when I know I have to stop, and pick up tomorrow a couple pages back from where I leave off.

However, this is often one of my favorite parts in the writing process. I get to look at all the pretty words that are already there (and already rather polished, due to my obsessive editing as I draft) and all I have to do is make them prettier.

One interesting thing: when I'm editing I have to have music going on in the background. While drafting I can write with music, or without. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes I have a preference based on my mood. (With The Temper I'm writing a lot with no music, just silence.) But I always listen to music while editing, though the type of music changes per project. (I love pandora.com and playlist.com. I don't know what I'd do without them!)

Next up: Writing Process V: Beta Readers

See you soon!
Kat


What is your next step after finishing a first draft?
Do you listen to music while writing/editing?

5 comments:

  1. The editing is always the hard part! I'm such an impatient writer. I don't edit at all as I write because I just have to get my words and thoughts down, which means my rough drafts are horrible but the real magic happens with the edits. And music is always necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love editing. When you can just switch into complete analysis and perfection mode and polish everything up. It really makes me smile just thinking about it. LE SIGH though, I am only in the re-writing stage of my novel at the moment but I am still giddy to be past first draft. Happy editing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always listen to music when writing, but I find it distracting when I'm trying to edit. It's funny to see that you're my opposite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I loved editing. It might make me faster. LOL! And music. I dream of writing or editing or doing anything to music. Alas, my mind is much too easily distracted. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And can I just say...I can't find that darn ninja fish!!!

    ReplyDelete