Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Run Away With Me

Boredom time= Excerpt time!


“We can leave!” He rose from the couch and took a step backward, toward the door. “We can leave,” he repeated, this time in a whisper. “We can run away together.” He held his arms out to me. “Come with me, let's go.”

I didn't move. “It would never work. We would never get away with it.”

“We might. We can try. I have to try. I have to save you...”

“James...”

He collapsed onto the couch and buried his face in his hands. “I have to save you,” his muffled voice spilled from between his fingers. “I'm not ready to accept that I can't.”

I moved closer to him and rubbed my gloved hand against his back, wishing I could be more comforting. Wishing I could wrap my arms around him. Wishing I could shower him with kisses. Wishing I could stay, but knowing I could not.

I glanced at the clock, hanging on the wall and ticking like a bomb. My heart quickened, humming in my chest, too many beats to count in each swiftly passing second. The second hand clicked its way toward twelve, and with a heavy sound that echoed around us, the minute hand dropped. Time. We were running out of time.

2 comments:

  1. I love the tension and the dark anticipation in this excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I'm definitely intrigued about what is going on. Very tense!

    ReplyDelete