Tuesday, March 3, 2009

40K

Untouched word count @ 40,500.

Didn't I just hit 30K? Yes, yes I did. I've been trying really hard to keep up the writing. After I decided I wanted to take a break, I realized that that was NOT what I wanted. Because a short break would turn into a long break, and a long break would turn into an indefinite break, and then I would let my poor little novel get pushed to the back of my mind as I got sucked back into World of Warcraft. No, I'm not exaggerating. I know myself, and that is exactly what would have happened. (Besides, I miss my pally and I've just been itching to get back into Northrend...)

But I didn't take a break. I stuck with it, even though I was feeling, well, stuck. And now I've made it past that little hiccup and I'm breezing through it. 40K meets the almost-halfway point. I'm guesstimating that my finished novel will end up somewhere around 90K. But the chapter I'm on doesn't feel like the halfway part, so I'm slightly worried that my word count is going to be excessive. I've decided I can live with anything under 100K. 100K or over and I'm busting out the pruning shears to start chopping scenes away... and that thought makes me shudder. My poor little manuscript...


<3 Kat


EDIT: I stayed up and wrote a bit more, I'm actually at 41,200 now. And my '40K' blog was my 40th blog post. Hee hee, isn't that funny? It makes me want to blog at the rate so that when I break 50K it will be my 50th blog post.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for 40,000+ words! Congrats! That is an awesome mile-marker, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about your final wordcount. (I know, that advice isn't helpful, because you, like me, will still worry abou it). But what I'm saying is that when you edit, it may grow a lot more or shrink a ton or stay right about where it is.

    I dropped 3000 words out of just three chapters in my last round of edits. By the time I get to the end of the book, I may have dropped 20,000 (that's what I'm hoping anyway). From your Ch 1, I would say your rough draft writing style is a lot like mine, so you'll probably end up cutting. Happy days. :) So yeah, just write and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow congrats on making such amazing progress! Also way to go on pushing yourself forward, instead of taking a break. I have faced similar temptations many many times, but in the end I always feel better when I force myself to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wandered over from kate's blog. Congratulations on the progress. I'm still in my first draft but I had one scene just didn't like and ended up cutting it. A whole day's work - eek. I should have saved it but just couldn't. I should have reread it and kept going. Oh well. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete