Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Revision Diaries (6)

Still plowing through revisions... just very, very slowly. Other story ideas are looking shinier than ever, and for some reason the idea of reading and revising some of my older projects is sounding pretty good. Which is strange, because they're in way worse shape than Temper. I think the main problem is that I'm starting to get sick of Temper. I've been thinking about the story and focusing on it for so long, the whole thing seems blah. Boring. Like it's all been done before.

A part of me knows it's not. But another part of me would be glad to never read or write another word about superheroes ever. A part of me thinks I should take a break. Set it aside. But then I get scared that I'll never pick it back up again. I'd rather work on it now, while it's still priority. If I let it go will I be able to rekindle the passion for it?

It's hard to say. I love my WiP Blood Ties, but I left it at 60K and haven't gone back. As of now, I don't have a real desire to. I mean, it's still in my mind that I'll go back to it someday, but when I think about setting Temper aside for something else, I don't even consider going back to Blood Ties. I consider starting a new project (I have a very long list of ideas) or maybe even going back to a old idea (like one I worked on before I became serious about writing) .

It's tempting... but I don't think I'll be swayed. I remember how it felt to finish the draft, and finishing revisions has got to be like a hundred times better, right? I've come so far, I can't quit now.

It's Kat vs. Temper, and I'm determined to win.


Do you take a break between draft and revision?
Have you ever set a novel aside and never gone back?

7 comments:

  1. Yes...I take a fairly long break between my first draft and diving into revisions/edits. My mind forces me to. As soon as I finish I feel like I could go on without ever writing another word. But after a couple-three weeks that feeling fades and the drive to write returns. Revisions/Editing is rough, not fun, and it doesn't take long before the appeal of writing another first draft begins to creep into your mind. To be successful, you need to fight that impulse and concentrate on your WIP. Put it to bed, so to speak, before you move on. This is where a writers discipline needs to be developed. Are you up to the task? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it depends on the project. I usually get to the end and turn around and start revisions in a week or so after. But sometimes a project doesn't feel right and I set it aside and let it simmer for a awhile (some I've let sit for years and years). It's a tough thing to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take a break between draft and revisions. Keeps my mind fresh, keeps me from going insane. It seems to work for me, but I can understand why it wouldn't work for others.

    There was one novel I worked on for NaNoWriMo last year that I haven't touched since... and I only got 5k in before I quit. But because I'm a perfectionist who doesn't like to leave things unfinished, I know I'll finish it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're in a rut. I have finished a draft and put it aside and am currently working on something new now. I think when I'm done with my current WIP, I'll work on the manuscript from before. So, yeah, I need breaks. It gives me time to think about the plot and writing and how it can be improved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. If I abandon something, it's usually for good. I tell myself I'll go back to it, but I never do. I've been meaning to finish Seven (which I started in July 09) and it's still sitting at 42k. Sigh.

    Don't let the superheros win. It will be good for their egos to not come out on top every once and awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take breaks during my revision process. I get burned out and then I start to feel myself rushing through things becuz I'm not as passionate about making it the best, I'm more concerned with getting it done. When I take a break, I read new books and get excited about the storytelling aspect of writing and how awesome the books I've read are and how I want to do the same for my book. Then I go back to my revisions with gusto and a fresh mind. Sure, it's taking longer (especially since I have very limited time to spend on it as it is), but I feel better about the quality that I churn out after a couple week break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Up until now, this has happened to all my stories. Except for with my first serious project, I never even started any revision because I know my stories are always full of plot holes and I don't want to look at them anymore. I know I shouldn't do that but I just lose all motivation. It's kind of disheartening, really.

    ReplyDelete