Monday, March 15, 2010

On Book Signings

I live in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, that's not true. I live in the middle of northern California. But close enough.

The coast is an hour and a half away. San Francisco is about 2 1/2 hours away. And my town only has two Starbucks. Scary, eh? We have one main local bookstore (no Borders or BN here!) and they never have author signings.

However, last week there was a book signing in Petaluma, which is only about an hour away. The author was Lauren Oliver, the book was Before I Fall. And I missed it because I didn't even know about it! Very sad-making. I've heard Lauren is awesome.

Lucky for me, Daisy Whitney (who is also awesome and whose novel The Mockingbirds debuts this fall) did go to the signing and she was nice enough to get me a personalized copy!

(Love!)


I'm still a little bummed I couldn't go myself, but now I'm keeping an eye out for signings I might want to attend. And guess what I found?

John Green and David Levithan for Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Monday April 26, 7PM / Books Inc/Not Your Mothers Book Club / 601 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco CA

So, yes. I'm going to that. San Fran is a couple hours away but it'll be worth it. I love John Green's books, and everyone says David Levithan is great, so I can't wait to meet them both!


Questions for you:
Have you ever been to book signing?
Which author would you love to meet?


Also, if you live in the SF bay area, are you planning to go to this event? If so, let me know! Maybe we can get lunch and gush about books! :)

Another also, I love HarperCollins so very much. They've sent me more books, but instead of ARCs they gave me finished copies! Of books that don't come out until tomorrow! I love them (the books, and the wonderful people at HarperCollins). Can't wait to read!


8 comments:

  1. Isn't Daisy just the coolest?! And lucky you! I'm going to buy "The Body Finder" as soon as I get off of work tomorrow!!!

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would settle for just ONE Starbucks!! I have never been to a book signing for an author I really care about, but depending on who it is I'd would totally drive a couple hours...make a weekend out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to go to a book signing as well and I'm making it a goal to go to one within the next year. I currently live in Berkeley and I always get frustrated when I see awesome book signings in SF because it's so close...but yet so far in walking distance. If only I had a car! Smaller towns should get some awesome author love too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a book signing once when I was like eleven... not very spectacular, but where I live the writer is pretty well-known and the pancakes were good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a book signing, but I would love to meet Dean Koontz and Stephen King. I bet they must be a blast at signings. :)

    I like the changes you made to your blog. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to a book signing, but I'd go in a heartbeat to meet Stephen King or China Mieville.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will love the Books Inc events, Kat! Can't wait to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh i am so jealous. i've never been to a book signing either and lauren oliver's book is like... my NEW favorite book ever and i'm sad that i discovered the book way after she did any signings in my area.

    ReplyDelete