Tuesday, July 7, 2009

All's Quiet

Everything seems rather quiet lately. Especially here- it's been, what, two weeks since I posted? Ugh. Well, because I know you're all hanging on the edge of your seats wondering what I've been up to, I will share.

1. Finished final revisions on Untouched, and started sending out queries. I got one request for a partial, but then later that partial was rejected. No query rejections, yet, so at least something there is working.

Stats:

Queries: 5 sent, 1 request, 0 rejections
Partials: 1 requested, 1 rejected :(


2. I'm trying to work on a new story. I don't want to jump into the sequel to Untouched, because I kinda need a break from all the death and drama. I have a couple ideas, but I'm torn over which one I like best. I don't like flopping back and forth between manuscripts, but that's what I've been doing lately.

The positives of working with multiple mss at the same time are that I get to explore many different worlds, characters and relationships as each story idea is very very different; I can work on whatever genre/voice I am in the mood to, instead of just being stuck with the same one; and if I get stuck or blocked on one WIP, I have several others I can work on until I figure out the problem.

But I've always been a one WIP kind of girl. I mean, I have tons of WIPs (If having an outline and a first chapter qualifies it as a WIP) but I like only working on one at a time. I can develop the individual voice a little better, I know my main character a little better- my character and voice stands out more, because it's not being blended with other characters or other voices.

Right now I'm juggling a couple WIPs, and I hope to make a decision and commit soon. Working on them all at the same time is confusing, because they are all so different.


BURN- a literary suspense, the MC is male, and it is told in first person present tense.

A man helps a woman who strongly resembles his deceased wife escape from her crazed boyfriend while trying to track down his wife's killer.

***

'TIL SUNRISE- a YA commercial fiction, the MC is female, told in third person past tense.

A recently dumped, heartbroken girl picks up a hitchhiker she thinks is her ex- but turns out to be another boy who takes her on a crazy adventure.

***

KAI OF CHAOS- a YA fantasy, with two MCs- male and female, told in third person past tense.

With the help of a half-mad semi-psychic girl, a boy possessed by a demon of chaos embarks on an adventure to rid the monster from his body


3. Sooo, yeah, not much else is going on for me. Time to go find something to eat. Then close my eyes and randomly select a WIP to work on. Then check my email obsessively 800 times. Then maybe write something. Yeah. Good plan.


Later, gators
Kat

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for sending out queries! I'm excited to get to that stage, hopefully in a couple of months. Fingers crossed you get more requests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you sending out the queries! I'm there too and actually had a request for a partial--hoping it comes back with goodness. Did you get any valuable feedback from the agent? That's always nice.

    I know what you mean about WIP's. I have two currently, plus two more I am wanting to write and already have the outline for one. It gets crazy to balance all these things but that's why I do short/flash stories on the side-I can write something simple and leave it at that, not novel length.

    Good luck with the other queries! I know I have a ton out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the partial! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the querying! That's always an exciting/horrifying time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you come up with all those awesome ideas? Wow. Your literary suspense book sounds right up my alley. :D

    Congrats on the no rejections. Hope I have that much luck!

    ReplyDelete