Saturday, October 31, 2009

In Which I Plan To Go Crazy

BT at 43,388. Looks like I've slowed down a bit after that two day word purge.

(The fact that 3K in two days is "slowing down" pleases me greatly. I don't always write like this. Actually, this is the first time I've ever written like this. Ever. I like it.)

ALSO: Don't forget to enter contest! There's only, like, six entries, and SOMEONE is going to win a free, new, shiny, word-filled, (insert adjective here) BOOK! It could be you. Or you. But you'll never get it if you don't enter. Ends tonight at midnight, California time.

Fun fact: Only Honolulu and Alaska are in later time zones than mine. Us folks here in California are going to be some of the last writers jumping in on the midnight NaNo train. Our friends down under in Australia are already counting down the final hours. How's the future over there, guys??

Anyway. I had a point. I swear.

NANOWRIMO!

The other day I offered up my dilemma in the hopes of getting some advice, and you guys gave me some good ideas. The general gist was: Don't ditch BT. Finish it first, or maybe, possibly, work on both. One especially cool idea was to use a different font/text color to help my subconscious get in the proper mode for each story. Love that idea! Totally doing that, as I've decided to work on both. (Since I didn't finish BT before Nov 1, which was secretly my goal behind that crazy word purge the other day. But, alas, BT decided to change up on me and grew another 20K at least in length. Crazy story! Why can't you just stick to your outline?!)

So. My goal is to finish both in the month of November. See, I've written nearly 44K on BT in just over a month, and I slacked off a lot. So I don't think accomplishing 50K will be too insanely difficult. My issue (possibly because I'm OCD) is that I don't want to split up the 50K between the two. I don't want them to share word goals. They are completely different projects! They can't touch! Like my mashed potatoes and veggies on my dinner plate. They can't touch either. That'd be gross. (That's mostly an exaggeration to make a point. I don't eat veggies.)

Anyway. I've had a lot of coffee. Yeah, it's midnight. Whatever.

I want to do NaNoWriMo in the classic way. I don't want to break "rules" by using the month to write 50K on BT (or whatever finishes it off. Looking like at least another 40K, which worries me, because anything over 80K is pushing it lengthwise for a YA novel.) So here's what I'm gonna do:

I'm going to do The Plural of Love for NaNoWriMo. Not writing a word before. Setting word goals of 1.7K/day to reach the 50K mark. Completely separate from BT. Though I'm still going to be working on BT, with a goal of 1K/day. 2.7K/day isn't so bad. I've been averaging that lately, and hey, some people keep that pace all year long.

Hopefully that'll make it so I have BT and Plural at least almost finished by Dec. 1. I plan to use December to finish them up. Then I'll set one aside and start editing the other for querying. Okay. That's it. That's my plan. Please feel free to tell me I'm crazy now.

Though, hey, if I like the 2.7K/day thing, I might go ahead and join the Milwordy crew. A year of writing crazily. 83K--more or less a novel--per month. Impressive. Scary. I like it.

So what does your writing plan look like for the next month or two? Or year, if you plan that far ahead? Do you have a writing plan/goals?

Please share, I eat this stuff up. It replaces the veggies in my diet.

Love and caffeine,
Kat

4 comments:

  1. The future is awesome. 3 hours and counting.

    My goals for the rest of the year are as follows: in Nov, I will complete Surviving Reject High for NaNo. I'll also keep working on Charms. I hope to have the next draft done and ready for betas at the end of Nov too.
    Then I'll start a new story in Dec (haven't decided which one yet) in the aim to finish that by the end of the year. I'd also like to finish the 1st draft of Seven by the end of the year (only 15-20k to go), because then I'll have written 6 complete stories this year. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Nanowrimo too! Though I'm having doubts about my plot. I have no idea how to fill up the middle.
    Anyway, since I have only about 21 days during November to write, I have to do 2500 words a day. Which is, for me, a lot. I usually don't write a lot during the rest of the year, but this Friday a plot bunny popped up so I want to set a doable, monthly goal for myself so I get some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing NaNo, which means I can either a) use the next few hours to finish the last of my homework, giving me only writing time come November or b) be lazy and not do anything. B sounds so tempting right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wish I could set goals like that and accomplish them. My writing goals are to get over the rest of my block(eight months and barely ten pages, I'm ready to bash my head against a wall), and not fail school in the process (which is so tempting!), write 50/k in the month of November, unlike you I will be breaking the rules. In fact I already broke some of them. Working on my NaNo story, which is an untitled WIP, while also dabbling in the univeres that accompany my stories He's With Me and Glass Heart, Glass Heart maybe not so much because it requires a lot of research and my math grade is a smidge more important than research for my novel right now. Not fair.

    But again, great goals and I hope you reach them because honestly I wish I could set goals like that and then meet them. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete